California Drought Information
THE BAD NEWS:
California is in the fourth year of a drought! Water conservation measures of 20% – 40% are being promoted and in some locals mandated! We are working through the California Pool & Spa Association(CPSA)to protect your rights as owners of swimming pools and to promote sensible water conservation measures!
THE GOOD NEWS:
Congratulations, as a residential swimming pool owner, you are already conserving water compared to what a conventional residential backyard uses. That’s right, swimming pools use less water
than the same square footage of lawn…. by half!! Then if you add in the pool deck area that would be grass, the water saved is even greater!
- Independent studies have shown that swimming pools use approximately .3 gallons per sq. ft. per day compared to .6 gallons per sq. ft. per day for lawn area.
- During swim season an average swimming pools evaporation is approx. 1/8 inch per day. Using a solar cover will reduce this amount!
- In California, residential swimming pools are a part of the middle class dream not simply a luxury of the rich and famous! It is a quality of life and healthy lifestyle issue!
- If existing swimming pools are not kept full so the circulation system works, they become stagnant and a breeding ground for mosquitoes and possibly West Nile Virus. This makes keeping existing swimming pools operational a matter of public health!!
- Residential swimming pools help people keep cool! If they are outside in the pool, they use less energy by reducing air conditioning use.
What you can do:
- Make sure that you do not have any above or below ground leaks in your swimming pool. If you do, get them repaired immediately!!!
- Use an inexpensive solar cover to minimize evaporation!! A solar cover can reduce evaporation by 50% – 80%!! (For good water quality & water balance, be sure to uncover your pool one day per week to allow the water to interact with the atmosphere)
- Keep jumping and splashing to a minimum to reduce splashout water loss.
- Don’t operate waterfalls and water features if they leak!!!